Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Who Do I Associate With in Sophocle's Antigone?

In many respects I associate myself with characteristics from all four of the characters that we have analyzed, Ismene, Haemon, Creon, and Antigone, but mostly I would have to say that I associate with Haemon. The reason is that you have to appeal to both sides and attempt to maintain the balance in a situation that has both positive and negative aspects to the decision that needs to be made. I agree with Haemon's ideology that justice considers both sides as there might not be a solution to a problem, just a decision with the least amount of repercussions. I also agree with his thought that one must learn to listen. This is because through experience I have discovered that listening to one side may be very convincing if you hear it first, but your opinion on the matter may change hearing the other side of the story. Balance is important.

No comments: